Buying a car

Buying a car

5 necessary criteria for buying a car:

1. Used vehicle — New cars drop in value as soon as you drive them off the lot. “New cars lose 70% of their value in the first four years. When you buy used, the original owner has already eaten the cost of the depreciation’. (daveramsey.com) If I buy a four year old car that the previous owner paid the depreciation cost then  I should be able to find a semi-new, low mileage, decked out vehicle.
  2. Not many miles — Driving back and forth for the valley 5 days a week puts at least 500 miles on my car in a week. I need a vehicle with low mileage so it can last me several years without constantly breaking down.
  3. Affordable so I can pay cash — I don’t want to be in debt anymore so it is really important that I be able to pay for this vehicle with cash. The money I would have  paid on interest can be put into my emergency fund or towards retirement.
  4. Good gas mileage — I drive at least 100 miles a day Monday through Friday to get to work and back home. I want good gas mileage so I’m not constantly having to file up the tank. I want a vehicle that I only have to fill up once a week at the most.
  5. All wheel drive to handle the snow and icy roads — When I leave in the morning for work the highway and side roads usually haven’t been plowed yet for snow removal. This makes the roads pretty treacherous. I want all wheel drive to help me stay on the roads during the winter.

5 desirable criteria for buying a car:

1. New car — Even though I don’t believe in wasting my hard earned money on a new car I would still love to own one. When I first starting driving I had several bad experiences with used cars. For me there is a sense of security in owning a new car. For example knowing that any problems you will have with the car will be covered by warranty for at least the first couple of years.
  2. Affordable — I don’t want to be saving money forever to be able to pay out of pocket. I want to be able to save up the funds within a year or two.
  3. SUV or truck — I like the idea of a bigger vehicle so I can see around other vehicles. I have only owned cars and I find it really annoying not being able to see around the vehicle in front of me.
  4. Easy maintenance (do it myself oil changes) — To save me time and money I would like to be able to do some of the maintenance myself. For example oil changes, replacing air filter, and changing the breaks.
  5. Comes with all the bells and whistles — I have never had a vehicle that has all the extras. I would love to have a sun roof, good bright headlights, heated seats, car starter, etc.